Friday, June 20, 2008

Weekends Are For Movie's...

Who remembers going to the drive-in during the summer to see a movie? It was always a fun time, blankets on the hood of the car the kids laying there, hoping to stay awake long enough to see both movies and plenty of snacks. Unfortunately many of the drive-ins have gone away for more developments, like we need those. I remember going to the Sunset drive-in between Greenvillage and Chambersburg. The one movie that sticks out was the Apple Dumpling Gang with Don Knotts and Tim Conway, I guess that one stands out because they are tow of my favorite comedians.

We are lucky that we still have two drive-ins close to us, Haar's along Rt. 15 in Dillsburg and the Cumberland at Rt.'s 233 & 11 by Newville. Even though Haar's is much closer we still go to the Cumberland just because we like it much better. Last weekend we went on a Sunday night because it didn't suit us the other days. I have to say if you do not have to get up and go to work on Mondays, Sunday is a lot less busy.

I took the D300 along wanting to play more with high ISO's in low light situations. I took this photograph at 9:07 p.m. during the previews section, the camera was hand held, ISO 1250, 0.8 seconds @ f/8.0. I could have cranked up the ISO higher with no noise problems. Before you say it I know people go to the movies to relax and have fun, but playing with the camera and learning what it and myself can do is fun for me.

It was kinda nice to get away from fire trucks for a change. And by the way, that is not the sun, it is the moon, I should have photoshoped it out of the photo since it flared out.

8 comments:

Woody said...

Cool Photo...Was the movie good??

Brad Myers said...

With a twelve year old I never see movies made for adults, so we seen Kung-Fu panda aand yes I enjoyed it. I guess it helps that I have the mentality of a child.

Woody said...

LOL..That's cool, The last drive in that was in our area closed about 3 years ago. Now they want to put a development there..

Hey, If you get a chance today and look at my fireworks photos and have any tips or guidence on how to shoot them..I'll take any advice that you provide...

Anonymous said...

Back in the 60's, on nighttime taxi runs to the C-burg hospital, an ambulance passing by the Sunset could hit the screen with it's spotlights & annoy decent movie-goers. So I've heard.

RB

Haney said...

Great POV. Are you guys really that far from the screen or is this an illusion?

Brad Myers said...

We are not that far away, it was shot with a wide angle lens, with the conversion for the sensor 15 mm. I wanted to get as much in as possible including us.

Willard said...

That shot worked out well, Brad.

Also it is an interesting subject for a post!

Anonymous said...

This one time I took family to the Cumberland Drive in for a all nighter and as we were leaving I almost ran over a drunk laying in the road way,,
I also like the commercial between show's,,where the hot dog would just into the hot dog roll,,,
GOOD TIME BY ALL,,,