Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dover International Speedway...


I was going to post these photographs later in the week but Woody said he was looking forward to them so I moved them up a few days. This past Saturday my family and the Holtzman's went to Dover to take in the Nationwide race and enjoy a day out. Well that statement pretty much held up. The Cup cars came out and did a few laps of practice and then the skies opened up. Yep we got soaked. But we stuck it out, a trip to Walmart for new clothes for everyone and back to the race track to see the three plus hour delayed race, 1:35 a.m. and we are finally home and back in bed.

The day was being used as a learning experience for me. With a new camera body that incorporates different focusing techniques, I found it to be the perfect opportunity to shoot the cars on the track with the big lens and the different focus settings. Did I learn anything? Yes, that at the focal length I was using in totally overcast skies and night fall approaching it is not that easy to photograph cars traveling 130 plus mph. It was still successful and I got a few shots. These are the only two I have worked up so far and they are also a learning experience, both went through multiple layers in Photoshop, the monster was purposely made darker to reflect the dark day in Dover.

Over the next couple of days I want to give a few plugs to blogs I look at daily that you may be interested in. Brian's is linked to my site so I won't put his link in here also. The first one is a friend from Shippensburg http://outskirtsofsuburbia.blogspot.com/ he has been at the blogging longer than me. The next one is from Lancaster County, I have never met Woody but we have exchanged messages numerous times and I am sure we will be meeting soon. He is new to the DSLR community but is already on the right track shooting Nikon's (that makes him a fellow Nikonian) his site can be found at http://woodysphotography.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Woody said...

Great photos! Glad to see a fellow Earnhardt Fan.

I attended my first race there back In 99. It's been a few years but hope to get back down there again.

Which side of the track is the monster located?? Is that closer to the Route 1 side or 13 side?? looks like it's more on the 13 side of the track..

Woody said...

and Thanks for the plug by the way...I appreciate that...

Haney said...

Thanks for the free advertisement, Bradley. I enjoy checking out yours and Brians every day and see 2 guys that actually know what they're doing. Keep on Blogging!

Haney said...

Nice race sponsership, by the way.

Brad Myers said...

Haney, you are the only one that noticed. My own family had to have me piont it out.

Brad Myers said...

Woody, the monster is located about the start finish line. He is new, they now make a big production out of everything in that area. Great for the kids. I first went their in the 80's when D. Cope won the race.

Woody said...

Cool. The first race I went to, Mark Martin won...

Anonymous said...

Great picture of the monster, but you didn't take the pic of the best driver out there, #24. I missed the race I was in Jersey for the Air Show.