Friday, October 3, 2008

Teton Black Bear...

By the time you are seeing this photograph we have left the Tetons and returned to Yellowstone. With any luck the skies found a few clouds to make shooting better, the temperatures have gone down and we see some snow and the wildlife got better. But then again if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck. This photo was taken the evening of September 30 along the Jenny Lake road in the Tetons. Rumor has it the elk was killed Sunday possibly by another bull. Later that night when the bear was not around the rangers removed the antlers to prevent poaching. We found out about it Monday and spent the evening on the carcass, the bear was their but did not come out. On Tuesday we spent about five hours on it in the morning. The bear did come out by I was in a bad position and when I did have a shot, well lets just say I didn't nail it. We went back later in the evening, I took a different position and out she came. The bear has a collar and an ear tag so we know she is a five year old female. The carcass is smelling pretty bad with the high temperatures we are having out here so I am surprised no grizzly bears have shown up to run her off. Sorry for the long paragraphs but I am putting these up as scheduled post and when I make multiple paragraphs it always leaves numerous spaces between them.

5 comments:

Ivar Østtun said...

Awesome shot. Hats off :-)

Anonymous said...

Great Picture. Sounds like the trip is awesome.

Jules said...

Wow your blog this week looks like National Geographic - what wonderful shots - I am so amazed at the amt of wildlife there!!!! You are very lucky to have visited such a fanatastic place

kjpweb said...

Still pretty cool - considering!
Cheers, Klaus

DeniseinVA said...

Incredible! Can't wait for the next instalment.