Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mammoth Elk Battle...


I would like to say these young elk were fighting but it was more of a playful battle. Still fun and exciting to watch. This was taken in Mammoth and these two guys had no chance at the large herd of cows that were there. Elk number 6 a large famous bull had them all to himself and no other bull was going to take them away. I will post a photo of number 6 in the future with some of his antics.

This was taken early in the morning just after day break, they didn't bugle and there was no posturing like in a real fight. They did run around in circles and enjoyed digging up the freshly laid sod, they put on a show for a good 15 minutes or so, but because of their location and the location of the cows and other bulls it was not possible to set up the tripod so all were shot hand held.

7 comments:

Woody said...

That's pretty cool. I like the wildlife shots, keep them coming...

Anonymous said...

I have them in my cross hairs, wait take a deep breath squeeze the trigger. BANG, #$%^ I missed again. I hope that Dad doesn't find out he will be mad. Brad, you are making the me get even more excited about going to Co. Haney, is the trucks packed yet.

WMIT

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful shot of elk in their natural habitat. The image in the previous post is a good one too.

Your composition are really cool

Willard said...

Brad,
Excellent shots of the elk, and all of the animals in the previous posts.
I got pictures of bull 6 too, but none of them were particularly good poses.

I too have read about the wolf situation and like you say there are two sides to the story and it is hard to sift the truth from the matter, but it does seem likely that the wolves are impacting the herd.

Keep the super photos coming, I am enjoying them very much!

Senators Fans Unite said...

Both shots are good but the second shot is my favorite.

Ken Conger Photography said...

Always awesome to watch posturing and locking antlers even if it is playing.

Leedra said...

They look playful to me, might be because I have seen them do this too.