Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pa. Whitetail Deer...


I thought I would stick with some of the photographs I took in Benezette last month but change from Elk to whitetail deer. We didn't see as many whitetails this year as we did last year and none provided photo opportunities except this young buck and another that was with him. This photograph was taken our last morning there along the Caledonia Road while heading to Benezette. He is more than likely a second year deer by the size of his antlers. I cropped in the photo to give you a better view of the velvet that covers the antlers as they grow. I am hoping that when I go back the end of September for the Elk rut I get the chance to photograph some nice whitetails. Don't forget to stop by Shane's site today to see his new post and if you like what you see there please leave a comment for him.

A quick note about last weeks series on the Elk stuck in the swings. It turned out to be a hit on this site and other places. I had the best day ever for this blog and an awesome week for visitors. In a seven day period between last Monday and Sunday I had 674 visits, just over 49% of those had never been to the site before. They came from 18 different countries and 39 states and the District of Columbia in the U.S.A. Pennsylvania alone gave me hits from 84 different towns. Quotes from my series were used in the Endeavor News from Emporium in an article ran this past Saturday along with links to mine and Shane's site. I missed out on having a photo ran with it because I was not able to get the photo to them by the deadline. I was also contacted by the editor of the Pennsylvania Outdoor News about three of the photographs for the September edition. It looks like they may use two of the photos in that edition. Monday looks like it is going to be the same way as the hits are high as I make this post. Thanks to all that stopped by and to those that left comments. I am glad the story had a happy ending.

2 comments:

Sparky said...

Way to go with your elk rescue photos. I know you may have gotten multi hits a day from me. But I was showing all the hunters here at work. They to like the week long rescue report. I also like the photos of today and really the close-up of the antlers.

bobshank said...

Brad, I couldn't agree with you more. My blog hits have been exciting to watch. Who would have ever thought such a dangerous and potentially sad event could have generated such high interest? I have thoroughly enjoyed following your blog and your son's as well. And it was a pleasure to get to meet you guys up on the elk range. I do hope our photographic paths will cross again!