Friday, September 4, 2009

Finally Some Elk...

After seeing very few Elk during our trip to Elk County Thursday night when it was getting dark and the fog was rolling in we finally found a large herd of 17 cows, calf's and young Elk. It was not the best of light for photography but we quickly set up the tripods and took advantage of our new found luck. The sounds of the calf's "mewing" were as good as seeing them. To get the photos I had to up the ISO to 1600 shooting at 420 mm at 1/40, f4. While their this young calf tried to get some milk from mom and I was excited at the thought of photographing it but mom wanted no parts of it and kept pushing the calf away.

While there we did get to meet Bob and James Shank from the Pocono area of Pennsylvania. They have a cabin nearby and love photographing the wildlife also. Both have blogs that have been linked to the site, stop by and check them out sometime.

2 comments:

Woody said...

Good Photos Brad. I enjoy your wildlife shots alot...

Woody said...

Brad,

Yeah, it is different. I promised my wife though that I would bid on the next open slot because she had wanted me to be at home at nights as well. With the current rotation I am on, we are off on the majority of the holidays and I did not know when another opening would happen.

I do prefer seconds though, more action and less brass..

Wyatt did like the buck, he kept pointing at it saying "Daddy, whats that?"