Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Pleasant Surprise...


I set out Sunday morning on a road trip on the country roads in my area looking for wildlife or anything interesting to shoot. As usual nothing creative was coming out of me and I was finding no wildlife to photograph. I was traveling along a small stream that I have shot in the past when I noticed a pleasant surprise, muskrats. When I first spotted them it was the one in the first photo. Only seeing a muskrat for the second time in my life I was not really sure what I was seeing at first. It wasn't until I noticed the tail that I realized they were muskrats (thanks to Salty's muskrat post earlier this year). There was four of them in a small area eating and swimming around. I spent about a half an hour there firing away before they tired of me and retreated to their den. Stay tuned for more muskrat photos this week including a little about this small mammal.

4 comments:

Leedra said...

I have either a muskrat or a groundhog shot near Douglas Lake. I never could make up my mind which it was. Tail was hid in the rocks, and he was not showing it to me. The research I did indicated I needed the tail to know for sure. For once the animal was NOT showing me that end. LOL

kjpweb said...

Great! So you have seen two more than me! ;)
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
Cheers, Klaus

gina said...

i saw one for the 1st time last summer, and had no idea what he was except ugly! lol my mom told me what he was....my muskrat pic not nearly as good as this one. isn't it exciting to shoot wildlife in this manner?? :)

Anonymous said...

nice catch. great colors you captured