Monday, November 17, 2008

More Mule Deer...


This is the same mule deer, but not one that I had previously posted. Unlike the others this buck really wasn't effected by our presence. He allowed us to photograph him all we wanted while he just kept eating berries. I don't recall exactly where we photographed him but I think it was just south of Tower Falls. In years past you would be looking at many Elk photographs from my trip but this year the Elk were scarce and the mule deer were plentiful. That being said expect more mule deer in the future.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Fantastic photos!! That first one is gorgeous.
The mule deer here is plentiful and very friendly.... every morning as I walk to work at 5am, there is a small group of 6 of them that will wait for me outside the door and walk along with me until I get to the highway... LOL... it's dark but you can see them in the street lights and hear the occasional snort and the hooves on the pavement... an incredible experience.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree w/ Michele, GORGEOUS! I must ask though, why ARE the elk scarce this year?

Brad Myers said...

Ms. Hays, I can only pass along what I was told out there and what I read. It was reported to me that the herd was down 1/3 along with the bison because of the bad winter they had last year. There is others that will tell you the wollves are killing to many but the wolf lovers will dispute that. I really don't know witch one to believe. Also when I was there during the rut is was unseasonably warm, that does not help either.

By the way, thanks to both of you for the good comments.

Willard said...

Hi Brad,

I like the mule deer shots. I didn't do too well on them during my trip to ynp. I did see a nice rack buck at Tower but couldn't get a shot without grass in the way. I did finally see one coming from Canyon Village to Hayden Valley and got one decent shot off before he started walking away.

Keep the wildlife shots coming.