Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pa. Whitetail Rut...


This past Sunday I had the opportunity to get out in search of wildlife in my area. I got out early but not early enough as these were the only deer I found. I came across these two laying in a field in the area of Route 174 and Route 34. After firing a few shots the doe decided it was time to get up, this seemed to excite the buck as he soon got up also. He quickly put his head down and approached the doe in a hurry. He was obviously ready but she was not and soon walked away from him. Before long he was chasing her off through the field.

Often I mention I would like to have a bigger lens or that the photograph was shot at full focal length and cropped in. Well as long as I am married and taking photos simply for the fun of it the big lens thing will never happen. But I thought today I would give you an idea of what the photo would look like before cropping occurs. These photos were shot at 600 mm with the camera resting on my truck. The top photo is actually cropped slightly since I size everything to 5 by 7 for the web I had to cut some off the sides. The second photo is then cropped in to get a finished photo. I enjoyed watching these two and that is the most important part of the road trip, but it sure would be great to have been able to get s super sharp photo.

By the way I did shoot a few more photos of hawks, trout and the country side that will show up later.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shoots Brad. Could the lens be on Santa's christmas list?

Brad Myers said...

No Dave, considering they run around $7,000 to $10,000 for what I want. Cameras are cheap compared to quality lens.

Anonymous said...

Just have to work a little over time.

Michele said...

Whoa... those are mighty expensive lens!
However, these photos are spectacular!!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Brad: Had to come down and check, I love your captures.

Reader Wil said...

Deer are very attractive and they are always a great subject for the camera.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never really priced lenses. I guess it'll be a long, long time before I get one of those too. I'm like you, I'll work with what I've got. :-)

I like these shots. They get the point across. :-)

Coy Hill said...

Thats a nice buck for hunting country Brad!

Those big lens are simply out of range for the most of us, me included. Tuesday we bumped into a pro (mangelsen.com)at Big Meadows and he was shooting an 80-200mm on his Nikon hand held, just goes to show that one doesn't always need the big glass.