Friday, September 5, 2008

"A" Platoon Extinguishes House Fire...




Today's post comes from a fire I peeped on Monday September 1, 2008 during the Harrisburg's Labor day festivities. The incident started around 3:30 p.m. when someone set this vacant house on fire at 1113 Derry Street.

At the time my family and I were on City Island watching the Harrisburg Senators (AA baseball) finish the regular season. A friend of mine that works at the ball park came and got me to see if I would know the location of the large column of smoke over the city. Had I left then I could have gotten great action shots, but then that is the story of my life "IF". I had been promising to get my son to the ballpark and it was a family outing so I really didn't even consider it. After the game I just needed to drive by and get a look, so by the time I stopped they were two hours into the incident and my shift was working to clean up and extinguish the hot spots.

The third photograph shows the Squad Lieutenant Doug Bair (no coat) with Sean Wilson inside the building. The last photo is Deputy Fire Chief Tom Murray.

18 comments:

kjpweb said...

Ah! The firefighter in you! Good shots, Brad!
Cheers, Klaus

DeniseinVA said...

Superb photos Brad. It must have been a beautiful house in its heyday, I always think of the family/families who lived there. What stories it could tell.

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Brings back memories of my grandfather that was a fire chief in Malden MO

Maude Lynn said...

Excellent pictures!

Coy Hill said...

Excellent photojournalistic work, you captured the action with your crisp detailed frames.

Thanks for you comment on my political post. I understand that many people cannot discuss politics without tempers flaring and what a shame that is. With the importance of the decision before us we cannot afford to make a mistake.

gaz said...

that house is gutted chief!!
what a relief no-one was in there.

Dar's Foto Faze said...

Good photos.

Leedra said...

These are great! Before reading was wondering how you were behind your camera instead of fighting the fire. Even when off duty....

Brad Myers said...

Thanks every one, I enjoying shooting fires right next to wildlife. I just don't live in a good area to do that (mabe that is a good thing).

Leedra, I was off injured or I would have been at work. Once the fire service is in your blood there is never an off duty.

Flying Solo said...

All firemans I know, they really LOVE what they do, and that is hard thing to find in other jobs. Glad you post this wonderful serie!

Ken Conger Photography said...

You portray the scenes photographically well. Enjoyed the Irma Hotel post as well.

Jules said...

Wow - what great photo journalism!!!! It must be very depressing to have to put your life on the line fighting fires that are deliberately lit. I hope the penalties are very high over there.

Great SKY WATCH photo yesterday - I am very late visiting this weekend

MumbaiiteAnu said...

Great pictures.

Livio Bonino said...

Excellent reportage

Ces Adorio said...

This is my first time to visit your blog and I am already impressed with the first post. These are very dramatic photographs. We never see these on the news.

Michele said...

Fantastic shots... clear and crisp... these are the kinds of photos you never have access to so it's neat to see it in this perspective! Great photograph indeed!
Mountain Retreat

Alida Thorpe said...

You have some great shots here.
It is always unsetting to see a fire and home destroyed.

Anonymous said...

Never leave the wrench...

RB