Friday, September 12, 2008

Back To Elk County...

For today's post I am taking you back to Elk County and the town of Benezette. This was taken last month on our family trip north. We spent the evening on Winslow Hill looking for Elk and having very little luck to come off the mountain and find this large elk and two other bulls enjoying the green grass in the town of Benezette. You can't tell by the photograph but it was all but dark when I shot this photograph. But thanks to the new camera the high ISO, a slow shutter speed and it turned out pretty good.

Now for my elk plug, Willard Hill aka "The Pa. Wildlife Photographer" http://pawildlifephotographer.blogspot.com/ mentioned yesterday on his site that the Pennsylvania Elk DVD has been released and is available in Benezette the middle of next week. It will also be available shortly for mail order. I plan on getting it myself by mail order.

The next elks you see on this site will be coming from Yellowstone (more than likely Madison River) and the Tetons. Stayed tuned there will be plenty of wildlife in the near future.

19 comments:

Gretchen said...

I'll be there tonight, so hopefully I'll find one as nice as this to photograph. A friend said the babies are beyond adorable!

Woody said...

Have a good trip out west my friend. Good Photo

The Birdlady said...

WOW!

Tanya Breese said...

Wow, check out that rack ;)

Great capture!
Have a fun trip. I went to Yellowstone when I was a kid. Was excited that it was Jellystone and wanted to see Yogi Bear :D

Leedra said...

Great photo. I have some elk photographs posting in the next several days, from my trip to Cataloochee Cove in GSMNP.

I have given you an award, please come to retrieve it and pass it on.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

What a big and beautiful fellow. The picture is very clear one can see the expression in his eye. It is so much nicer hunting with a camera! Beautiful photo that does this beautiful animal justice.

don said...

A fine capture of this beautiful animal. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous animal. Just elegant.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow batman... that is the biggest elk I have ever seen. Very nice shot. Have a great weekend.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Oh my goodness, this is amazing. It's so perfect it doesn't even look real. That was real and not a statue... right? ;-)

Stacey Olson said...

That is one impressive bull. thanks for sharing

Michele said...

That is fantastic! WOW... extremely impressive indeed!
Mountain Retreat</a

Flying Solo said...

I couldnt tell it was taken at dark!
I'll stay tuned :)

Willard said...

Thanks for the plug, Brad.

That's one of the nicest bulls up there now. If he stays in the no-hunt zone he will become one of the great ones. Some of the elk watchers are calling him "Barney", I guess because he is "Fred"(bull 36s) side kick, and they based this on Andy Griffith and Barney.

At any rate, you did a fine job on the photograph. It is really amazing how late or early one can use the new DSLRs without undue noise problems. When I had the 10D, I had problems if I went above ISO 200 and severe problems above 400, but it's a different world with the new ones.

Good luck out west! I should have the dvd ready for mail order by early October if all goes well.

DeniseinVA said...

An incredible photo of a magnificent animal. I am a little envious of your trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton. After our vacation there last year, can't wait to go back some day. I will be eager to see your photos. Happy traveling!

HFD60 said...

Great image Brad. Hope you have a good trip and remember if you have problems with the bears you just have to out run Brian ;o) See you when you get back...

Brad Myers said...

Thanks all for the great comments and to Willard for the information. I will be getting the DVD as soon as it goes on sale be mail.

Unknown said...

Nice blog and beautiful pictures, I loved the back flip shot the best, awesome moment and perfect timing from your side

Digital Polaroids said...

Wow! I never saw a deer like this in my life!