Monday, January 25, 2010

Textures and Blending Practice...


Well last week did not go as planned. The idea was to head to Bombay Hook, Delaware as soon as I get off work Wednesday morning and stay until Thursday afternoon. The guy that was going to go along couldn't make it and I didn't feel like going alone so I stayed home. That may have been a good move since I was sick all day. The contingency plan was to hit SNP for a day. The park has been closed because of snow or ice for some time now, it finally opened up (over my four day tour), but the weather can reek havoc their. I was following the storm that was to hit this are Thursday night in hopes of being able to go there on Thursday. The more I watched it the worse it was looking for me. I guess correctly as it started sleeting there before 10 a.m. and the Skyline Drive was quickly closed. I would have made a six plus hour round trip drive for nothing. I now realize that when I do get down I will be photographing antler less deer in the snow.

Not getting away and the big WWII Saturday coming up soon I thought I would practice trying to make photos appear older using textures and blending modes. These are all experiments and I know I need more textures in my library but I am beginning to think I may be learning something new. So yes you can teach an old dog new tricks. The first photograph is a close up of the spokes and wheel on the OCC POW MIA bike. It was my first attempt at using numerous textures, four in all. The second photo was taken last year at the Eisenhower farm. I changed the colors manually, then used two textures before getting the idea to put it on a texture I had to make it look framed. I do not know if I did these right or not but I am starting to get the effect I wanted and feel more comfortable with what I am doing. Now for some new photographs on Saturday.

2 comments:

sfriel said...

Nice work! Interesting post.

Heather said...

I really like where you are going with the processing! Can't wait to see more.