Monday, January 4, 2010

Conowingo Eagles...



Last week one morning Shane and I got up early and headed to the Conowingo Dam in Maryland. It looked like things were finally going to work out after our plans for SNP and Benezette fell through. We arrived shortly after daybreak on a cold windy morning. Our hopes were that with the cold they would open the gates to allow water through to create energy. When we arrived we found that water was already flowing (I forgot the river was up from recent rain and snow melt). The water flowed the four hours we set on the dam waiting for eagles. This was my third trip to the dam in 2009 and Shane's second. It was our worst trip for seeing eagles. They had to be around we just didn't see many, but we did see some doing things we had not witnessed before.

I did get my best photos yet of eagles flying and fishing but I am still not happy with what I got. If they just looked as good on this screen as they did on the camera LCD. I do plan to make a few more trips to the dam before winter ends, with more practice maybe I will eventually nail a real keeper. By the way this trip marked my last shutter releases for the year.

6 comments:

Sparky said...

I think the shots are great. Nice work.

Les Barr said...

Greetings, Brad, from up here in Reading. I'm not too far from you. About an hour drive away.

Anyway, at some time, I'd like to see these Conowingo Eagles for myself and take some Images of them. I know pretty much of where the Conowingo Dam is, but haven't been there in a long, long time. It would be a straight drive down RT10 for me.

I used to do the volunteer thing up here and was a Medic for Southern Berks Paramedics more than 20 yrs. ago. We never got paid for what we did. I enjoyed helping other's in need. That's OK about the word verification thing. I have it too. Too many "nit-wits" out there!

Nice meeting you & stay warm.
Les

Heather said...

You are crazy... those shots are AMAZING!!! Well I'm no pro, but I would love to have taken any one of those! :) I saw my very first eagle on our last Benezette trip and I sure am anxious to make the trip to Conowingo!

Woody said...

I like the new header Brad. Love the eagle shots as well. It's been about 20 years since I've been to the Conewingo Dam..I might have to venture down there one day...

Jeff Sullivan said...

I thinks the shots are very good. Its been over 5 years since I saw one while working near Lake Seminole, southwest GA.

bobshank said...

Brad, I drive down I-95 just south of where I think Conowingo Dam is located. I've always thought that must be a pretty nice spot. You flight photos are great in my opinion. I am hoping to spot a few eagles up here in Delaware Water Gap National Park next week. I still don't have one eagle shot that I like myself.