Monday, January 11, 2010

House Fire In West Pennsboro Twp...




Yesterday morning my wife and I needed to make a trip to Shippensburg before I went to work. While on the way there a house fire was dispatched in Newvilles area. I never go anyplace without the camera and this trip was no different. Not knowing exactly where the fire was located when we got close enough we followed the thermal column into the scene. I shot allot of photos in the hour I was there before finishing what I set out to do so I wouldn't be late for work.

The plan was to work up more photographs and have more information on the incident but work just didn't want that to happen. At this time of year fire calls pick up and with us being in the freeze that we are in calls here at work kept me running all evening leaving little time to work on my laptop. I will continue this post more this week with additional photos, information and a video or two. This was my first chance to use the D90 on a fire and it worked well. Part way into shooting the incident I remembered it has a video feature so I took a couple of short hand held videos. Even though I didn't have it set on the best quality (I was using it for something else and forgot to switch back) was pleased with what I got.

The first photo here is the first one I recorded after getting out of my truck. The second was taken shortly after. The last two were just a couple early photos that I liked. The third one was desaturated except for the reds and yellow and the last one I just felt would look best converted to black and white.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pics look great Brad keep it up.

Woody said...

Great pics Brad... We had a job Saturday afternoon at the Willow Valley Resort that we were due on the 2nd, but I was napping and stayed napping..lol

Woody said...

I would like to take a roadtrip out to Ship sometime to see the rigs...

Jeff Sullivan said...

Now these are real action photos. The last seems almost haunting to me, realizing how close to the fire and smoke y'all work. Thanks for writing, Brad. Yes,we've been chopping through the ice in the horse troughs. House fires are on the front page of our local paper.

Coy Hill said...

You really captured the action here Brad. The texture shot is outstanding as well as the b&w in your previous post, both powerful images!

Peggy said...

All 3 posts about this fire really tell the story. I see plenty of coverage about fires locally (I work for a local newspaper editing photos) and am so impressed with your eye for storytelling! Amazing, Brad!