Wednesday, January 9, 2008

More Bird Photos...


Okay before anyone says anything I know the top photograph is over exposed and all the highlights are blown out, I shot it that was on purpose. A few year ago I purchased a book on using light to create photographs, while shooting theses I remembered that and tried a few. Since everything fades to white I thought it might be a good idea to name it that and go with a white border. I hope you like it.

Now I am no bird expert by a long shots, I prefer cats But I think this is a Black Skimmer. The Black Skimmer breeds in loose groups on sandbanks and sandy beaches in America, the three to seven heavily dark-blotched buff or bluish eggs being incubated by both the male and female. The chicks leave the nest as soon as they hatch and lie inconspicuously in the nest depression or "scrape" where they are shaded from high temperatures by the parents. They may dig their own depressions in the sand at times. Parents feed the young almost exclusively during the day with almost no feeding occurring at night, due to the entire population of adults sometimes departing the colony to forage. Although the mandibles are of equal length at hatching, they rapidly become unequal during fledgling.

Skimmers have a light graceful flight, with steady beats of their long wings. They feed in often large flocks, flying low over the water surface with the lower mandible skimming the water for small fish or crustaceans, caught by touch by day or especially at night. They spend much time loafing gregariously on sandbars in the rivers, coasts and lagoons they frequent. When calling the sound is a barking kak-kak-kak. If it turns out the bird is not what I said it was then disregard everything I just said.

I don't know what the other bird is. What do I look like an encyclopedia?

No comments: