Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Front Yard Friends...


As with yesterdays whitetail photograph today's photos were taken just last week also. We feed the birds and have for many years. At out present house we have five feeder's out right now not including all the seed we put on the ground for the doves and other birds. This particular spot is in our front yard right up against our porch. Next to these birds is about a 20 foot hemlock tree, they love this tree as it gives them the security and safety they need to survive. With the hawks in our area I try to provide the birds a safe place to eat and not set them up as a hawk feeder.

My wildlife friends can set me straight if I miss identify the birds. The first one is a White-crowned Sparrow, a winter visitor to our parts. He is much like the White-Throated Sparrow but lacks the yellow above and in front of the eye. I believe the second bird to be a Dark-eyed Junco. These photos were actually shot from the warm comfort of my front room with the lens up against the window. In the last two week I have also watch a male and female cardinal, doves and many other different sparrows enjoy the meal along with a wood pecker (I don't know witch kind) eating at our back yard feeders.

6 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I LOVE the bird shots! The first one is definitely a white crowned sparrow....I have been seeing these a LOT lately. I'm not sure what the second one is...but they are both cuties!

Coy Hill said...

I agree with your identification. It sounds like you have a good plan for keeping your little friends safe from the hawks.

So far the hawks haven't caused me a problem but then I too have quite a bit of evergreen cover nearby.

Leedra said...

Like these both. Nice shots to be from inside the house.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Ken Conger Photography said...

Great job on your backyard birdies. Tack sharp! Blue Skies.

Eve said...

Adorable. Beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

Great shots. I've been scanning your blog and realize I've got some catching up to do. Man, I've missed some great shots like the one of the bear crossing the road. I'm going to go catch up now. :-)