Friday, January 23, 2009

A Couple More New Photographs...


I started the week with some new photographs so I thought I would finish the week with a few new shots. The whitetail deer was taken on Saturday January 17 when Linda took me to the area she observed the herd in. I feel pretty good about this place and hope to scout it out enough to be able to get photos in the spring with the young as well as the bucks in velvet this year. I shot the duck this past Sunday shortly after photographing the two deer laying down. Someone else help me out here on the type of duck it is, there was an American Black duck close by and Mallard, but this birds head just didn't fit in.

8 comments:

Leedra said...

You got me for a second with I shot the duck, I am a little slow this morning. Just got 5 hours sleep. I understand now, with the camera. I better get with it, or it is going to be a long day. Your shot of the duck is excellent. Can't help with the ID.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Ken Conger Photography said...

Nice shots Brad. Good portrait composition of the duck. Your duck appears to be a cross breed of the typical white pond duck with some mallard (green in the head). Blue Skies.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great shots. I've never seen a duck like that.

Willard said...

Good shots, Brad. I agree with Ken as to the duck. There is something about the tail (how some of the feathers curl forward) that reminds me of a mallard too, but other than that it has to be a cross.

Leedra's comment reminds me of the time we were at Big Meadows and checked into a motel near Elkton in the evening. I remarked that we had been shooting up at Big Meadows and the lady about lost it. She said that we would get arrested, etc. as no hunting was allowed there. Bottom line, I usually refer to photography as shooting or say I "shot" a deer , etc., but I forget sometimes that others don't realize I'm referring to photography instead of hunting.

Ivar Østtun said...

Beautiful shots. I love the water pearls on the feathers.

kjpweb said...

Gorgeous! Ducks and geese can throw you off quite a bit due to crossbreeding. Guess Ken be right on that one...
Cheers, Klaus

Coy Hill said...

I must agree with the others, you duck is a mallard cross. The tail curls and body shape are mallard but that is as far a mallard goes. Mallards are known to interbreed with just about any duck. I well remember a mallard hen we had years ago that bred with muscovie. The offspring looked like huge mallards without the tail curls.

Anonymous said...

nice photos. I always forget how small the white tail deer ears are... compared to the mule deer.