Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Assateague Horses...


Last day of horse photographs, not the last from Assateague, but the last horse. The first photograph was taken by Shane and the second one is mine. Like I said before I am very proud of the way he is coming along. He is set up with his own bag with the D70 and a couple of lens's when we go shooting he takes off and does his own thing all in manual mode. It has been just over a year since he started shooting the DSLR and he has come a long way. Lets see how he does this weekend, we are going to shoot the Elk in Benezette, Pa.. With any luck it will be a good weekend and we will see lots of Elk with some white tail deer and maybe even a bear or two mixed in.

At Assateague the horses run wild on the island separated from the Chincoteague, Virginia herd by a fence. The Maryland horses are maintained by the National Park Service while the Virginia herd id managed by the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company. The herds are restricted in size in order to protect the other natural recourse's. Each year the Chincoteague VFD has a horse sale. One day the horses swim across the water for the sale, the next day they are sold and the following day those that were not sold for various reasons swim back to the island. This years event was just held on July 30, 31 and August 1.

There are few places in the United States where you can view wild horses. If you have never been to Assateague you are really missing out.

3 comments:

Raven said...

Beautiful series of posts on these horses. When I was a little girl - WAY long time ago - I was a big fan of Marguerite Henry's books among which were Misty of Chincoteague and another called SEASTAR... That one began (I read these 50 years ago and I still know parts of them by heart). This is what I remember of the introduction to SEASTAR. It may not be quite accurate, but I'm pretty sure it's darn close.

Last Pony Penning Day I went to Chincoteague a second time. My purpose was to work with the men who were planning to film the book of Misty. Misty, I thought, was complete in itself. Let the boys and girls dream there own wonderful dreams. But then all my resolves burst in mid air. On the morning of the second day a lone colt with a crooked star on her forehead was found at Tom's Cove. Her mama lay on her broadside, dead. Except for the sea mews and the wild striker birds the colt was quite alone. One little wild thing helpless against the wild sea. And there in that moment at Tom's Cove the story of Seastar was born of itself.

They were great books. These are great photos. Thanks for the memories. Sorry to have run on so.

Brad Myers said...

I am glad you did run on, I post these photographs to share with others. They get bored an lonely sitting alone on the hard drive with no one looking at them.

The book you mentioned actually help to make the horses famous. They were not as well known before it was written.

Glad you enjoyed them.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow, these photos are wonderful. My husband and I were in Assateague last weekend and the only siting of horses was way, way too far off the pony trail, and we could see them eating grasses in the marshy area, too far for my moderate zoom to get a decent shot. They are beautiful animals and your photos bring them to life for me. Going back one of these days, maybe we will be luckier next time round.