Friday, February 29, 2008

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Today's photograph was taken at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, mile 79, Seward Highway, Portage Alaska. The grizzly may be captive but he is still wild.

The AWCC is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving Alaska's wildlife through public education. The center takes animals that are injured or orphaned year round and provides a spacious enclosure and quality animal care. Animals that can be released into the wild are and those that cannot be are provided a permanent home at the center.

I personally do not like zoos, I do not believe in keeping wild animals in cages or on concrete slabs, but I would recommend this place. It is not a zoo and there intentions are good. Your admission price is going to a good cause and the animals are kept in areas much like there natural habitat.

I forgot about these photos and just recently found them, so expect more in the future.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

It's nice that he posed like that for you.

Those claws are a little scary!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture. I enjoy the pictures of the bears.

Brad Myers said...

He didn't just pose, I made him do it or I was going to send my son in after him.

I like the bear photos also, but then I like bears. I have messed with them a little to much the last few years that I occasionally have dreams about them were they are chasing me. Good thing I wake up before they catch me.