Monday, November 14, 2011

SNP Whitetail Rut 2011...



Last week I spent Sunday afternoon through Thursday morning in Shenandoah National Park photographing the whitetail rut.  Like photographing the Elk rut in Pa. I find that I enjoy the company of the great people just as much as I do the wildlife experience.  Most of the gang was there like Willard, Coy, Henry, Carl and their wives, Billy, Jim and others that I have met in recent years including new friends that were made. 

This year may have been my best year yet photographing the whitetails during the rut.  I photographed many bucks from big to small, numerous sparring matches, tree rubs, breeding, blue birds, red shoulder hawks and my best silhouette yet. 

I feel I didn't start with any of my better photos but this was one encounter I had with this buck mid day.  This nice 5 by 5 had this one doe to look over and he did a fine job of it.  I think I photographed him in August when he was in velvet I just need to look over the files to see.  Between this trip and numerous others I have plenty to post, now if I can just get myself to set here and do it. 

Once again I want to thank all the great people I spent time with for helping to make these trips so much more enjoyable.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

Welcome back Brad. Just want to say these are some great photos. If you say you have better. I can't wait. Looking forward to see them.

Haney said...

Awesome shots, Bradley. One of these years I will join you. I need to take my 70-200 out for a walk in the woods and see how it work, since it has seen it's last soccer field.

Willard said...

I enjoyed both Shenandoah posts, Brad. This was a much better fall at SNP than we have seen for years in my opinion. It reminds me more of my early years there. I think it is good too that we have established a wide circle of friends that go there each year to photograph the whitetails and socialize. Coy and I remarked that it seems we are getting more and more of the same groups, both at Benezette and SNP, which is a good thing.

I think that it is sad that SNP and Cades Cove in the Smokies are the only places that have exceptional public lands deer photography in the east as far as I know.