Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Different Bucks, Different Light...


Today's post (yes two days in a row) is different bucks in different light.  Both were taken with the Nikon D7000 with the 200-400 VR f4 lens from a tripod.  Interestingly enough both were taken around the same time of the morning but in different weather and lighting conditions.  The first was shot at 7:52 a.m. on a sunny clear morning.  This small 4 x 4 was in the meadow and lighting was from the side, it required settings of ISO 400 1/60 second at f6.3 at 510 mm.  The second photograph was taken my last morning in the park when it was very overcast with no sunshine.  It was taken at 7:20 a.m. at ISO 1600, 1/160 second at f4 with a focal length of 600mm. 

The gist of the post if there is one is that photographs can be taken in all kinds of lights with different and sometimes equally as good results.  They also can be taken vertically compared to horizontally for different results.  Both of these I felt were better shots taken that way.  I do not like to shoot at 1600 ISO but will do so when it is the only way to record the image.  Could I make these photographs better, YES.  With better computer skills in Photoshop I could probably do much more with these that I do not do.  As a habit I try and get the photograph as close as I can when taking the shots and then only spend about five minutes at the most in post processing.  The higher ISO shots could be much better if I had a clue about noise reduction.  Presently I do none, but I have been told that if I get Lightroom 3 and learn to use it that it is a remarkable tool.  Maybe someday I will purchase the program and get the nerve and energy to learn how to use it.

On the second photograph take note to the broken tine on the left beam of the 5 x 4.  Also note the damage to the right beam, these bucks did more rubbing than I have ever seen on these trips, a number of the bucks had broken tines and displayed some sort of battle scars.  What a great trip it was, for anyone out there that loves the beauty of the whitetail deer this is a must place to visit.  I am so lucky to have this place within four hours of my home.

2 comments:

Julie G. said...

Exceptional photographs of two magnificent looking bucks! I agree with you, the vertical views are especially appealing. Lovely lighting on the first shot. Wonderfully detailed head-on view of the second. That you don't fuss much with photoshop is a testament of your outstanding photography skills.

Also, a very gracious thank you for the kind remarks you left on my blog post. Much appreciated!

Coy Hill said...

Good shots Brad!

I don't know anything about what noise tools are available in LR3 but the tool in CS5 camera raw does a very good job. You should check it out sometime you have time; I think you be impressed.

It was great as always shooting with you and I agree we must shoot something together before next autumn.