Wednesday, March 4, 2009

American Coot...

After a one day break from bird photographs it is now time to go back to the feathered Florida friends. This bird making all the waves is an American Coot, more information about this species can be found at this link http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Coot.html.

Not being very well schooled on birds I wasn't aware of this bird until my trip to Florida (by the way this was taken at Viera wetlands), two weeks ago I decided to take a walk at Wildwood Park in Harrisburg to photograph some birds and found one of these guys eating in the old canal. I did photograph him and wanted to put that photo up with this one but I just have not had the energy from being bitten by a sickness bug or the time to sit in front of this machine and work lately.

3 comments:

Vanessa Bates said...

Caught em takin a bath :) Great photo!

Leedra said...

This trip to Fla was the first I had seen the American Coot also. From a distance I thought Common Moorhen, then it turned and was white instead of red. Have to go back to the reference book, and then had another new one. Congrats that you did too. This one must be a juvenile, it is so light colored.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

ara133photography said...

Great shot!! I have just been introduced to coots - I found one on a pond in State College, PA and couldn't figure out what it was! :) Hope you're feeling better!!