Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wood Stork...


This was the first chance I had to photograph or even see Wood Storks. Last year in Florida I looked for them with no luck, this trip I didn't see many but I did see them often. Like most of my Florida bird photographs most were taken during times of harsh sun, with some you can get away with it but in the first photograph the whites of the feathers were blown out. These birds are rarely seen in the U.S. in states other that Florida and southern Georgia. It may be one of the ugliest birds I have ever seen.

Please stop by Shane's blog today for a new post.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

They might be ugly, but I want to see one! I missed a chance last september in Florida, so it's still on the list to see! Your whole series in FLA so far has been awesome!

Haney said...

Is this the fabled bird that delivers babies? Cause he sure don't look like the guy from the pickle commercial.

DeniseinVA said...

This is another great photo. I remember a few years back coming off a boat ride in Sebastian, FL when some sports fishermen were tossing leftovers over the side to the waiting pelicans below and there was a stork in amongst the mix. It was a great sight to see so many birds underneath the small pier with all their heads looking upwards.