Friday, April 10, 2009

Shippensburg Firefighters Extinguish Blaze...



On Friday February 27 I visited my hometown firehouse for a day of fellowship with the men. I am lucky to come from a town like Shippensburg where they are blessed with a great volunteer fire service. The company's in town have great apparatus, manpower and abilities. Thanks to them they gave me the skills I needed to become a paid fireman. It is always a fun time when I visit, the older guys stop in, we sit around the table drinking coffee and telling stories of days gone by, sometimes I think the younger guys think we are telling lies, but unfortunately our stories are true.

During this visit I was sick and should not have even gone up, but I was expecting company from long time friend Chief Bill Dubbs of the Chambersburg Fire Department and I was looking forward to the visit. Shortly after arriving a box alarm was struck for our first due area for a house fire. Raining and cold I didn't want to make myself worse so I rode in the duty car with the Deputy Fire Chief. It turned out to be a working fire in a back room of an old farmhouse but with our quick response and good manpower the engine company knocked the fire down very quickly not allowing much of a chance for action photographs. I did photograph some of the men which by the way I have been enjoying photographing people more and more. I hope my skills are improving, I may need some extra money upon retirement the way my deferred comp. has taken a hit the last few years.

4 comments:

Woody said...

Good Photos Brad. Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Brad,I still think you should have put the camera down and went to work!

WMIT

DeniseinVA said...

Great firefighter shots! They tell quite a story.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Brad: Those photos certainly tell a story, nicely done.