Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Finally A Weekend Trip...

After what has been a miserable winter and one trip after another canceled for various reasons, mostly weather, Shane and I finally made a trip north for elk. Saturday morning when I got home from work I loaded up the truck with the help of Linda while Shane prepared a wonderful breakfast for us. Off we were arriving in Medix Run around 1:30 p.m. and moving on to Benezette and Winslow Hill in search of any kind of wildlife we could find. It was a great afternoon seeing over 100 elk including this bull that was in a herd of 75 plus. He was kind enough to bugle and perform for us. In my next post from Elk county I will tell you more about the trip then.

Don't forget it is Tuesday so please visit Shane's site for a new post. I know he got some new photos this weekend with the D90 and 70-200 F2.8.

And how great a wife do I have? She let Shane and I go searching for elk last year during our 25 TH wedding anniversary and now this year on Valentines day. She is either a great wife or smarter that all the ones that keep their husbands and kids at home. Or maybe she was trying to get me, we go north to get away from the heavy snow and it snows there Sunday afternoon and evening then we get home Monday afternoon to find out it is going to snow here. Can a guy get a break

5 comments:

Sparky said...

Great pictures of the elk. Glad you had a nice trip, and as for Linda, look out she wants something. No just kidding, sum women are just that way, understand what man needs.

Coy Hill said...

Glad to see you made it up. These boys will have to calm down soon, it won't be long before they will shed.

Unknown said...

Brad
he put on a show for us on Friday afternoon. 87 elk were across from the Winslow Hill viewing area.
You got a very good shot of him here. Which lens was this?

Jim

Brad Myers said...

Jim, this was the Nikon 200-400 VR F4. It is brand new and the first chance I had to use it. Saturday and Sunday this herd spent its time around the Elk Diner. We counted 75 and knew there was more but the way they were moving around we could not tell.

Check out my sons site (link to the left, Shane Myers) he also posted a close up and was using my 70-200 VR F2.8.

I am ready to get back up but can't before they drop their antlers so I mught wait until June for the new borns to start dropping.

Unknown said...

Brad
Good lens. I have one as well, but it has its limitations. Check out
http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-200-400mm-lensreview.htm

The lens takes amazingly sharp photos when subjects are close--but gets soft with further distance and the use of teleconverters.

Both you and Shane got some great shots on this trip.

Jim