Friday, August 29, 2008

NASCAR Nationwide Series Food City 250




Today's photographs were taken last Friday night at Bristol Motor Speedway I almost referred to this as the Busch Grand National Series but then I thought (yes I do think, sometimes) no lets get it right and call it by it's new name, the NASCAR Nationwide Series Food City 250.

Before I say anything about the photos or the race I wanted to talk a little about the people. This event was attended by 110,000 people and Saturday's race by almost 170,000 so you get to see all types. I will be the first to admit that allot of these people are rednecks (heck I used to be one), some are that drunk I don't know how they walk or talk. But like firefighters, bikers and other groups you meet most of these people are just really nice. We went on a bus trip since tickets are so hard to get and it just makes life so much easier. On the bus there was allot of nice people, some season ticket holders for the Hershey Bears, just like us. But a few that stood out were a couple (maybe a little older than us) and the woman's father. Linda, her father Tom and her husband, I am sorry but I don't remember his name (old timers decease setting in) traveled from Miami, Florida and met us at a hotel. Like us they are Dolphins fans and like us Tom is a Earnhardt fan. We sat next to them at both races and on the bus, allowing us the chance to talk and get to know them a little better. It was nice getting to meet them and I know Shane really enjoyed their company.

On Saturday the announcer had all the Veterans stand to honor them, Tom stood at the urging of his daughter. It was very evident that he was touched by this and still very proud to have served his country. Linda and I were also very touched by his reaction to the whole thing. For some reason I failed to thank him for his service to the country then so I am doing so now. I can only hope that this thank you reaches him. While I am at it I would like to thank all our vets for keeping this great country safe.

Now back to the race, the top photo is the green flag to start the event. Picture two is the number 6 car of David Ragan spinning on the front stretch to bring out the yellow flag, followed by action on pit road. And finally the last photograph is of Brad Keselowski after doing a few donuts at the start finish line moments after winning the race. Brad drives for Dale Earnhardt Jr. so a few of us were happy with the win.

More from the cup series and some random shots will follow sometime in the future.

11 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Great series of NASCAR shots. I was a SR. fan way way back so of course Jr. is a favorite too.
I scrolled through your blog--wonderful pictures.
My grandfather was a career firefighter, starting out driving horses. I have some wonderful pictures of him with the horses.
Thanks for visiting my blog. MB

kjpweb said...

Job well done, Brad. Equally your homage to the veterans!
Cheers, Klaus

Rambling Woods said...

Bradley..I wanted to thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I was interested to see that you are a fireman and volunteer. My husband has been a volunteer fireman for almost 30 years. Here if you call 911 for anything, you get the fire company also. Hubby made almost 700 calls last year which include the first aid and fire calls. He is completing his underwater rescue as we live near a creek and many ponds. I used to want to throw that fire radio down the stairs, but I have long become used to it.
Michelle

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots! They've got some race going on here in Fontana, CA this weekend. I thought about going just to get some pics... 'til I saw how big that track is. I don't think I could take the crowd in this heat. LOL!

Stacey Olson said...

Great shots. A good friend of mine's boys work on the nascar trucks.. Fabricating, now pit crew and one is a crew chief.. how exciting.

Kelly said...

Hey there Brad, thanks again for the nice SWF comments you left on my post!

We are racing fans too! We went to Ft Worth to IRL at Ft. Worth a while back and saw a great race...

We have some pictures from that race on his blog if you're interested in seeing his. He loved your pictures!! Finally just got my computer back from him! (lol)... He's not much into commenting, but I bet if you'd leave a comment for him, he'll gladly comment you back. (if you want too). He was telling me all about the ISO on your camera and things, he was impressed with that also...

http://www.khcsportsphotos.blogspot.com/

Anyway, your racing post is another excellent post one as well!

Thanks,

Kelly

Coy Hill said...

Excellent shot! I've never been to any races but I know this has to be difficult lighting conditions to work under.

Thanks so much for the nice comment on Country Captures, its always good to hear from a neighbor.

Brad Myers said...

Thanks all for the great comments.

Kelly I will check out the blog and the racing photos. I purchased the camera body I am using now just to be able to shoot a high ISO with minimal niose and I have not been left down. It willallow me to shoot fires at night with no flash making a much better photo.

Salty, it is a little difficult to shoot, you never know when or where you need to piont the camera and the ISO has to stay up to get a fast enough shutter speed for a good shot. I am still learning the limitations of the new camera body. Your brother has me hooked on new places. After being in Elk County a few weeks ago we are heading to Virginia to enjoy some more of his deer. With the usual two week trip out west for the rut season. I read all your family (4) blogs and everyone in it is very talented.

It is always great to here from past and present firefighters also. I know I love my job.

DeniseinVA said...

Hello again, great photos at the race. I thought it was also very sweet of you to recognize our veterans the way you did. There are several in my family and I count my blessings every day that they served their country when called. Also have to say I think we ought to recognize our firefighters, and so a big thank you to you and all our firefighters out there. Don't know what we'd do without you. We had many standing at the traffic lights the last couple of days collecting for Jerry's Kids. I think that is going above and beyond giving their time for such a worthy cause. We put our dollars in the boot and I thanked each one of them for what they do for us. You guys are the greatest. Thanks also for stopping by my blog and leaving the nice comment. Okay, my blathering is over with :))) Have a great Sunday.

Brad Myers said...

Thank you for the very kind words Denise myself and firefighters every where appreciate that. This is a big weekend all over the US for Union firefighters and fill the boot to help Jerry's kids. So far in our city it has been a very sucesseful campaign.

I would like to thank you for yyour kind words on my other post also. We all look at our own work different and tend to judge it a little harder. Thanks again.

Texas Travelers said...

Great photos.
I can't keep up with all of the name changes for the tracks, series, car of tomorrow, who drives for who, etc.

Nice story.

I enjoyed my visit.

If you are keeping track,
Alaska Sunday is posted.
It's the trip log with some new photos.
To see the post, Click here.
Troy and Martha