Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pronghorn

A pronghorn or antelope, is North Americas fastest land animal, capable of reaching speeds up to 60 miles per hour.

This photograph was taken last September in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. I didn't know much about this animal then, but after a scare with this male, I soon learned.

Brian and I separated in this field each looking for the best spot to shoot this male and his herd of females. After getting my tripod set up this guy began watching me like I was about to get my butt kicked. After a short time he decided to run, straight at me. Everything in me said do something but the stupid part took over and all I could do was to keep shooting as he approached me at those speeds. He passed by me within feet and just kept going until he reached the next mountain.

I joined up with a couple other photographers shooting the same herd to learn that the pronghorn was really looking through me to the next mountain. It turns out they are in rut the same time as the elk and he spotted competition.

A short time later he returned and posed for numerous photographs, including this one.

No comments: